Since 1915, Regional Superintendents have been charged with the duty to "inspect the building plans and specifications of public school rooms and buildings, inspect and survey all public schools under his or her supervision" (ILSC 5/3-14.20), and "request the Department of Public Health, the State Fire Marshall, or the State Superintendent of Education to inspect public school building or temporary facilities which appear to be unsafe, unsanitary, or unfit for occupancy" (ILSC 5/3-14.20).
Regional Superintendents ensure that schools are safe, sanitary, and fit for occupancy by inspecting facilities at least once a year.
Health & Life Safety Forms
- ROE33 Health and Life Safety Schedule
- Required Documents
- Verification Checklist
- Annual Review of District Safety Plans
- Health-Life Safety Handbook
- Health-Life Safety Glossary for Existing Public School Buildings in IL
- Building Permit Packet
- Building Permit Application (Fillable PDF)
- Pre-Building Permit Paperwork
- Post-Building Permit Paperwork