Substitute Teaching

How can I obtain a substitute teaching license?


Must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
Valid for substitute teaching in all grades of the public schools, prekindergarten through grade 12

*Note: Substitute licenses are valid for 5 years, and may be renewed with the payment of registration fees.​

If you hold a valid professional educator license or educator license with stipulations that you obtained with a bachelor’s degree for issuance, you are qualified to be a substitute teacher. You do not need to hold a substitute teaching license. *At the hiring district's discretion

​​Individuals who hold a lapsed Professional Educator License (PEL) and owed professional development are not eligible to obtain a substitute teaching license.  The PEL must be reinstated.  If the PEL is lapsed and you do not owe professional development, you may obtain a substitute teaching license.

To apply, individuals may submit an application online at in the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS). A $50 fee will be assessed electronically when the application is submitted. After submitting their application, individuals should have an official transcript from their college showing an awarded bachelor’s degree sent to ISBE or to the Regional Office of Education, 121 S. Prairie St. Galesburg, IL  61401 Attn. Brittany Stegall (call 309/715-7320 if you have questions).

To be valid for teaching, a substitute license must be registered in ELIS after it is issued.

To be a substitute teacher in the Regional Office of Education #33, Henderson-Knox-Mercer-Warren Counties, you must be fingerprinted for our region and have a recent physical (within 3 months of application).  Please call 309/734-6822 or 309/345-3828 for further details. 


Substitute Online Application